The Holidays present several challenges for all of us. This holiday season you may find an additional challenge if you are trying to stick to a diet or just make healthy decisions regarding your nutrition. Thankfully, we are here to help with some tips and tricks to help you not deviate too far from your diet.
The ketogenic diet, or keto diet for short, is a low-carbohydrate, high-fat diet that is designed to help the body burn fat for fuel. This type of diet can be challenging to maintain during the holidays when there are often many tempting treats and high-carb foods available. However, with some planning and dedication, it is possible to stick to a keto diet during the holiday season.
Here are some tips for maintaining a keto diet during the holidays:
Bring your own food: If you are attending a party or gathering where there may not be many keto-friendly options available, consider bringing your own food. This way, you can ensure that you have something to eat that fits into your diet.
Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help you feel fuller and more satisfied, which can help you resist the temptation of high-carb treats. Aim to drink at least eight cups of water per day, and consider carrying a water bottle with you to stay hydrated throughout the day.
Practice moderation: It’s okay to indulge in some holiday treats, but be sure to do so in moderation. Allow yourself to enjoy a small serving of your favorite holiday food, but try to stick to your usual keto meal plan for the majority of the day.
Get plenty of exercise: Exercise can help you burn off any extra calories from holiday treats and can also help you maintain a healthy weight. Try to incorporate some form of physical activity into your daily routine, even during the busy holiday season.
Overall, the key to maintaining a keto diet during the holidays is to plan ahead and practice moderation. By doing so, you can enjoy the holiday season without derailing your diet.
The holidays can be a challenging time for those who follow a vegan diet, as many traditional holiday dishes contain animal products. However, with a little planning and creativity, it is possible to enjoy a delicious and satisfying vegan holiday meal.
Here are a few tips to help you stick to your vegan diet during the holiday season:
- Plan ahead: Take some time to think about what dishes you will want to serve at your holiday meals, and make sure to include plenty of vegan options. You can also consider making a list of ingredients you will need to buy ahead of time, so you can be sure to have everything on hand when you need it.
- Be prepared to make substitutions: Many traditional holiday dishes can be easily adapted to be vegan-friendly. For example, you can use plant-based milk and butter in place of dairy milk and butter in most recipes. You can also use flax seeds or chia seeds to make a “vegan egg” substitute in recipes that call for eggs.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment: The holiday season is a great time to try out new vegan recipes and discover new foods you love. There are plenty of delicious vegan recipes online that can help you get inspired and create a tasty holiday meal.
- Bring a dish to share: If you are attending a holiday party or gathering where you are unsure of the food options, consider bringing a dish to share that is vegan-friendly. This way, you can be sure to have something to eat that fits your dietary restrictions.
- Be flexible: Above all, remember that the holiday season is about spending time with loved ones and enjoying good food. If you are unable to stick strictly to your vegan diet, don’t stress about it. Just do your best and remember that every meal is an opportunity to make healthier choices.
Dairy Free Diets
If you are following a dairy-free diet, the holidays can be a challenging time. Many traditional holiday dishes, such as pumpkin pie and eggnog, contain dairy products. However, there are many delicious and satisfying substitutes you can use in your holiday cooking. For example, you can use almond or soy milk instead of cow’s milk, and coconut cream or vegan butter instead of regular butter. You can also use avocado or olive oil in place of butter when cooking or baking. If you are unsure about how to make a particular dish dairy-free, you can search online for dairy-free recipes or ask for help from friends or family members who are familiar with dairy-free cooking. With a little creativity and effort, you can enjoy a delicious and satisfying holiday season while sticking to your dairy-free diet.
Maintaining a vegetarian diet during the holiday season can be challenging, as many traditional holiday dishes are centered around meat. However, there are many delicious vegetarian dishes that can be enjoyed during the holidays.
Some vegetarian options for holiday meals include:
- Roasted vegetables, such as root vegetables or squash
- Vegetarian stuffing or dressing
- Mushroom gravy
- Lentil or bean-based soups or stews
- Green bean casserole
- Eggplant Parmesan
In addition to these dishes, many traditional holiday side dishes, such as mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce, are already vegetarian. If you are attending a holiday gathering where you are unsure if there will be vegetarian options available, you may want to consider bringing a dish to share. This way, you can be sure that there will be something that you can eat, and you can also share your favorite vegetarian dishes with others.
Sneak in Workouts
It can be difficult to find time for workouts during the holiday season, especially with all the extra events and activities that tend to take place. However, there are a few ways you can sneak in some exercise during this busy time. One option is to make use of short bursts of activity throughout the day, such as doing jumping jacks or push-ups during commercial breaks while watching TV, or taking a quick walk around the block before or after a holiday party. You can also try incorporating physical activity into your holiday traditions, such as going for a hike on Christmas morning or playing a game of touch football on Thanksgiving.
PhysioFit Physical Therapy and Wellness is a one-stop shop for all of your physical fitness needs. Stay in your best shape or rehab painful symptoms all with the guidance of professional licensed staff. Call or text us today to see how we can help you stay on the right track when it comes to your health – (650) 947-8500!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Kim Gladfelter, MPT, OCS, FAAOMPT
Women's Health Physical Therapy Specialist at PhysioFit Physical Therapy & Wellness
Kim Gladfelter is a physical therapist, Pilates instructor, educator, author, and co-founder of PhysioFit Physical Therapy & Wellness. She is known as a keen, well-rounded expert of healing through movement and women’s health specialist in the Silicon Valley area.
Kim has helped men and women of all ages to stay active and feel their best. She also writes about managing pain in her health columns, blogs and the local Los Altos Town Crier newspaper as well as reaches out to the local community, support groups, schools, libraries, and sports centers to advise and educate on body awareness and therapeutic exercise.