Kim Gladfelter, MPT, OCS, FAAOMPT
SPECIALIST PHYSICAL THERAPIST
A Personal Message from Women's Health Physical Therapist, Kim Gladfelter
- Are you worried about your "mummy tummy" or "mommy pooch" and feel embarrassed to discuss it with anyone?
- Are you embarrassed that you still look pregnant months after giving birth?
- Are you frustrated and lack the body confidence you once had?
- Does it concern you that you’re unable to get back in shape, lose weight and feel strong again?
- Are you missing out on your favorite activities because you might leak when you jump, sneeze or laugh?
- Do you find sex painful or uncomfortable?
If any of these describe you, we want you to know that you are not alone...
And we hear our clients talk about these feelings all the time! In fact, Diastasis Recti is a very common problem that we see in our women’s health physical therapy clinic in Los Altos.
We see people like this all the time and it's one of our key specialties!
I assure you, you’ve come to the right place.
At least 60% of women suffer from Diastasis Retci during pregnancy or postpartum.
And what’s worrying to me, is I hear about so many women who suffer needlessly from Diastasis Recti, and are often told:
- That everybody gets this after babies, so it should just be accepted.
- Do lots of abdominal crunches (yet it makes it worse).
- To just live with it or opt for surgery.
However, Diastasis Recti is much more complex than that...
And when it comes to living with abdominal separation (or postnatal belly bulge even when you have lost all your baby weight!), everybody we see wants to know...
Are You Dealing with Mummy Tummy Post Pregnancy?
FREE GUIDE: "6 Tips To Avoid Surgery For Diastasis Recti And Regain Control Of Your Body."
16 Pages Reveal How to Heal Your Diastasis Recti...
and Get Back to Feeling Confident And Living Your Active Lifestyle
"What Can I Do To Get Back In Shape?"
Most people think that when they get Diastasis Recti (abdominal separation) it’s simply going to improve by doing enough crunches.
Several months later you're still living with abdominal separation or Diastasis Recti (and been told surgery may be your only option) and some other new issues may start happening like back pain or “leaking” when you cough or sneeze”.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario that we see quite frequently in our physical therapy clinic is when people are told “you need surgery and that is the only way to resolve it". Does that sound familiar?
But wait... it gets even better! This approach is extreme and risky as many women don’t want to go under the knife, or don’t have the time to be down resting when they have a family to care for...not to mention the huge expense. Also, this surgery can come with complications and is important to work on strength in the abdominal muscles underneath first. Isn’t it better to treat it conservatively instead?
Other times many women go online to find solutions, they do a Google or YouTube search for answers to the problem, they’ve tried it all but still no significant change!
The irony really is, that this approach to treating pelvic floor dysfunction by doing Kegels, watching random YouTube videos for Diastasis Recti help, or taking pain medication for back pain is highly ineffective. It often causes more frustration because the passive approach does not work for most people. It's madness... and even borderline insanity (that we keep doing things the same way and expecting a different result each time). This can even explain why so many moms are suffering with postnatal concerns that have not been resolved.
If You Feel That Way Too, Then...
"What Can I Do To Help My Diastasis Recti?"
Well, here's 3 things you can do:
- First things first, you need to make a decision about getting proper help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that Diastasis Recti will "just go away with time," but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it. Worst off...nothing has really changed… or it gets worse.
- Next, you need to do the RIGHT exercises. One of the best things that we do to help you ease your abdominals is to do the right SERIES of progressed exercises. The right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help ease any pain, improve your core strength from the “inside out” and allow you to feel more confident about your body. How does that sound?
- You need to get some real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy treatment. Physical Therapy is proven to help people with diastasis recti, if done the right way! In fact, at PhysioFit it’s one of the most common women’s health issues we see. Often times it is accompanied by back pain, pelvic floor weakness, or hip issues. Women's Health Physical Therapy can help get you back to living the life you deserve and make your feel more empowered to take on fitness activities the RIGHT way!
How Can Choosing To See A Physical Therapy Specialist At PhysioFit Help You To Heal Your Diastasis Recti?
Here’s just a few of the things our Physical Therapy Team can do for you:
- We will thoroughly evaluate your spine, pelvis, and abdominals and determine the best appropriate plan of action.
- We can quickly take away any other pain and stiffness, usually inside a couple of sessions.
- We will ensure that your problem is addressed and “corrected” so you can heal properly. Then, we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises that will speed up your recovery.
- We can help you avoid dangerous abdominal surgery.
- We can help you to finally feel more confident about your body and eliminate any worry that the issue might get worse or hinder you from the workouts you WANT to do!
- Restore your confidence with ALL movements throughout the day that you may have been fearful, or guarded about
- Help you return to exercising again, but with PROPER 'form, and technique’ so you don’t have to worry about hurting yourself as you get active again
- Help you develop much more ‘body awareness’ so you can 'feel' when you are doing a movement improperly and correct it
- ENJOY moving and exercising again without worrying making things worse
Our 20-Minute Phone Consultation comes at NO risk to you. We will have an honest conversation about your health to decide if we will be a good fit to work with each other.
Dedicated to your health and restoration,
Back Pain Physical Therapist
“Hear From PhysioFit Clients Who Are Feeling More ACTIVE, HEALTHY And HAPPY…In Just A Few Short Weeks”!
"I had an amazing experience at PhysioFit working with Katrina. Since my 2nd pregnancy three years ago, I haven't been able to recover from diastasis recti and have felt really insecure about my stomach area and weak in the core for years. In my first visit, Katrina diagnosed and measured my diastasis, and explained why the stomach exercises that I was doing weren't working. She then gave me a set of exercises to start with at home and over the next few weeks, ramped up to more challenging exercises as I started to get stronger in my core. Throughout the time that we worked together, she was extremely encouraging and patient while also correcting my form to make sure I was doing the exercises correctly. Not only am I on a path towards recovery, I also feel hopeful again! Thank you Katrina and PhysioFit!"
- Verna, Mountain View
"About 2 months after I delivered my baby, I developed plugged ducts from breastfeeding. As a new mom, I had spoken with several moms who had varying levels of challenges trying resolving them. After scouring the internet, and trying everything to resolve the plugs, my midwife/physician referred me to PhysioFit for plugged-duct physical therapy. I had never considered physical therapy as being a possible solution, but through their combination of massage and ultrasound treatment, we were able to get the ducts unplugged without needing surgery. One of the things that was really encouraging about this form of therapy was that it's completely non-invasive, and the technicians made me feel very comfortable in the sessions. There was no down-time, or healing time so I could still go about my life, nursing my baby, going to work, etc. PhysioFit is one of the first (and few) studios to offer this type of treatment, and I love that they have been innovators in offering effective alternative treatments to plugged ducts compared to surgery."
Note: If your Diastasis Recti issue is urgent...
Choose Which One Works Best For You...
Just click one of the buttons above and then fill out the simple form.